[Live-devel] Audio Streaming over network

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Jun 23 21:30:36 PDT 2014

On Jun 19, 2014, at 5:55 AM, srd srdsrd <pirpi.12345 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to stream live audio over network using live 555. I have referred testprogs from source code. I tried with testMP3Streamer.cpp
>
> and testMP3Receiver.cpp but when I tried these two programs to stream mp3 file it is just outputting encrypted data on stdout.

The data that's output to 'stdout' is not 'encrypted'.  It's just MP3 audio.  You need to feed it to a MP3 decoder.  (The "LIVE555 Streaming Media" software doesn't include any media decoders (or encoders).)

If you have a MP3 decoder application that reads from 'stdin', you can simply run:
	testMP3Receiver | your-MP3-decoder-application

Alternatively, just run
	testMP3Receiver > outputFile.mp3
and this will give you a MP3 file that you can play with a media player.

> I want
>
> to play mp3 file on client side.

The easiest way to do this is to run the "LIVE555 Media Server": http://www.live555.com/mediaServer/
to stream your file, and then use a RTSP/RTP media player client - such as VLC - to play it at the receiving end.

(Note that, in contrast, "testMP3Streamer"/"testMP3Receiver" are *multicast* applications.  They will work only on networks in which end-to-end IP multicast routing is implemented.)