[Live-devel] HTTP Live streaming

Jeff Shanab jshanab at jfs-tech.com
Sat May 3 05:17:12 PDT 2014

I wrote a HLS streamer for live stream in my last job that used live555 to
pull from security cameras. I only had to make a small modification to the
MPEG2TransportStream class to make deterministic PAT packet (or was that
PES, sorry this is from memory). These packets are currently inserted on a
timer basis and not related to the keyframe. In order for different people
people to connect at different times This was changed to every so many
Keyframes. Keyframes are already regularly spaced so I then could use the
PAT/PES packets to know where to split the file. I used the Mongoose
embedded web server and made a complete in memory system.

But...

It was not widely used becasue this was security video and HLS has a
latency of At Least 1.5 segments and the segment is supposedly minimum 5
seconds. I was able to go to 2 seconds. This was unacceptable. It was
easier to port the browser plugin to an android and iphone app and just
stream rtsp to the devices.

I had another propritary protocol serving frames over HTTP and one of the
newer standards is very similar. WEB-M + VP8