[Live-devel] Logging or debug info

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue May 6 10:40:35 PDT 2014

> Testing with:
>
> 	./testRTSPClient rtsp://192.168.1.12:8554/camera0
>
> it seems to work ok until the 65 second timeout occurs on the server side. Perhaps it does not handle the
> needed RTSP conversation? Same happens with ./openRTSP. I see from my server logs that the camera
> I stream gets deallocated. I have done nothing custom on the Live555 side for the low level RTSP handling,
> so I assume the clients don't do the needed talking. Live555 says as much too after enabling the DEBUG
> variable:
>
> RTSP client session (id "2FBE732F", stream name "camera0") has timed out (due to inactivity)

The problem here is that your server is not receiving the frequent RTCP "RR" reports that the client (both "testRTSPClient" and "openRTSP") is sending.  Because you say that your server is built using the LIVE555 library, this surprises me.

Does your server stream via multicast - i.e., using a "PassiveServerMediaSubsession", like the "test*Streamer" demo applications in the "testProgs" directory?  If so, then your server *must* create a "RTCPInstance" object along with each "RTPSink" object (as you can see in the "test*Streamer" example code).

Or does your server stream via unicast - i.e., using a (subclass of) "OnDemandServerMediaSubsession" - as demonstrated by the "testOnDemandRTSPServer" demo application (or by the "LIVE555 Media Server")?  If so, then I can't see how you could be having this problem, because "OnDemandServerMediaSubsession" automatically creates "RTCPInstance" objects.

> I also now see that the server always streams over TCP

No, you're mistaken about this (unless you've modified the "RTSPServer.cpp" code, in which case you can't expect any support on this mailing list).  "testRTSPClient" (unless modified) always requests RTP/RTCP-over-UDP streaming, as does "openRTSP" (unless you explicitly give it the "-t" option).