[Live-devel] H264 stream from camera shows black screen

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri May 30 06:39:15 PDT 2014

> I am capturing from a camera(interlaced NTSC analog camera with BT656), I can save all the captured video to a file test.h264 and can play it via RTSP as expected, however if I play it directly(i.e. live) without saving to a file first, the play window is black with progressing time displayed, but all we got is a black screen. what could be the problem?

I don't know.  The problem may be with your media player application - which would have nothing to do with us.

Try running "openRTSP" <http://www.live555.com/openRTSP/> as your RTSP client.  Rename the output file to have a ".h264" filename, and try playing this file using VLC (as your media player).  If this works, then you should also be able to use VLC as a RTSP client, to play the stream directly.

If this doesn't work, then send us the diagnostic output from "openRTSP"; that might tell us what's going wrong.