[Live-devel] [patch] Authentication hiccups

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sat Nov 1 14:15:20 PDT 2014

Tomasz,

Thanks for the suggestion.  This is a good idea, and I’ve just released a new version (2014.11.01) of the “LIVE555 Streaming Media” code that includes your patch.

It seems, however, that there may be a bug in your RTSP server, because I don’t think this should be happening:
> -> Sending request: PLAY
> <- RTSP/1.0 401 Unauthorized	WWW-Authenticate: Digest
> -> Sending request: PLAY	Authorization: Digest
> <- RTSP/1.0 455 Method Not Valid In This State

I don’t understand why your server would first send back a "401 Unauthorized” response, but then, after the client followed up with a valid “Authorization:” header, respond "455 Method Not Valid In This State”.  I suggest filing a bug report for your server.

> One more suggestion if I might, that it would be nice to be able to
> forcefully disable Basic auth.

No, I don’t want to do this.  If a server is foolish enough to request Basic Authentication, then the client should use it.  (Few servers these days use Basic Authentication, fortunately.)