[Live-devel] Buffering an H264 Video Stream

Mark Bondurant markb at virtualguard.com
Mon Nov 3 14:40:18 PST 2014

You need to create a filter and insert it into the chain.

I had this exact scenario and what I had was my own filter that handled the incoming frames. All my frames were small POD classes with a bit of meta data and a buffer holding the frame. I had a pool of these of different sizes and they were boost reference counted to save on memory and copying overhead as they went to disk or HTTP live Streaming or out the HTTP interface or to the browser plugin.
I may be mistaken, but I think the Framer filters do just this.

I then had a GOP buffer. Each GOP contained the reference to one keyframe and a list of references to all the difference frames.  Then I had a adjustable buffer of gops. 2 -3 gops at a time max were fully decoded or partially decoded to allow forward and backward play and fast forward on key frame only depending on if it was live or recorded or cached playback.

Now, here you've lost me. I don't know what a GOP is. I don't need forward or backward. I just need to spit out a discrete autonomous ten second clip. Someone else will play it.