[Live-devel] Streaming to RTSP clients with different ports

Taha Ansari taha.ansari at objectsynergy.com
Wed Nov 12 21:35:51 PST 2014

> I have a test scenario, where I am streaming webcam input + mic over to a
remote server using RTP protocol, which re-streams this to another client
(other client pulls data through RTSP):

> FFmpeg (RTP AAC audio + RTP video) -> Server -> (RTSP AAC audio + RTSP
> video) FFmpeg client

>>You didn?t say specifically which parts of these are using the ?LIVE555
Streaming Media? software; I presume it?s just the ?Server?.

Sorry, my bad. The scenario I mentioned at start was only the background of
the problem; in that scenario I was not using live555, but was using some
other server (called NGMS lite for Linux). This particular server does not
support audio only RTSP streams tunneled over HTTP. So similar to this
theme, I would rather use live555 to re-stream (if it is easily possible
using just the binaries) in similar pattern:

[FFmpeg (RTP (AAC) audio)] --> [live555 server module] --> [FFmpeg (RTSP
(AAC) audio)]

In above case, I will be eventually using many different RTSP ports (unlike
suggested default ports like 554), to support different source(s) and
client(s).

My understanding is, I can only get this thing running on different RTSP
ports if I am successful in using RTSP tunneled over HTTP...

So basically this was the reason for this question.

>>You should first use ?testRTSPClient? and ?openRTSP? (our command-line
RTSP client applications) as clients to test your server, before using
something like ?FFmpeg? or ?VLC?.

While I do understand this - the thing is: I have already had good success
with FFmpeg clients (on both transmission and reception end - if only fully
for local network, and partially on live) so I would like to continue in
this direction (if of course possible).

So in rephrased question, which live555 server module can give me this
functionality, i.e.:

[FFmpeg (RTP (AAC) audio)] --> [live555 server module] --> [FFmpeg (RTSP
(AAC) audio)]

>>See http://live555.com/openRTSP/ <http://live555.com/openRTSP/>

>>Ross Finlayson
>>Live Networks, Inc.