[Live-devel] ubuntu live555 tuning issue

Pete Pulliam ppulliam at llnw.com
Thu Oct 2 14:47:37 PDT 2014

More data points, more refined confusion, about an ubuntu live555 tuning
problem.

When serving from port 8554 (non-priveliged), we are getting 800
connections comfortably (Great!)

When serving from port 554 (privileged), we are sucking at less than 100
connections, even with extreme tuning (Terrible!)

No, we can't actually avoid using port 554.

This is true for two different versions of Ubuntu linux, and has been
tested on six different pieces of hardware in three different pops.  I've
looked for iptables rules.

The test framework uses openRTSP with the last client started returning
quality metrics, with one or more VLC clients also playing for visual
confirmation.

"My Code" refers to a live proxy implementation.

Here is a simplified view of the test graph:

*My Code* (based on April edition of live555)

root, port 8554, udp -> GREAT! (tested at 800+ players)

root, port 554, udp -> terrible

root, port 554, rtsp over TCP -> GREAT! (tested at 1000+ players)

root, port 554, udp, players all on localhost -> GREAT! (tested at 1000+
players)

*Stock April live555 proxy*
non-privileged, port 8554 -> GREAT!
root, port 554 -> terrible

*Stock September live555 proxy*
non-privileged, port 8554 -> GREAT!
root, port 554 -> terrible

Comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete

--
The information in this message may be confidential.  It is intended solely
for