[Live-devel] Using RTSP Stream for Real Time Interactive Applications

pankaj bansal pankaj.bansal.jiit at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 11:36:03 PDT 2014

I have an server client application. Server is Java application and client
is an android client. I am streaming data using RTSP. I am using the
Live555 server for streaming. I can see some constant 2-3 seconds of delay
between server and client. Because of which when user gives some input by
touch, its effect can be seen at server instantly but it takes 2-3 second
for the effect to be visible on client. I have used VideoView Widget of
Android to play the stream

To make sure I am not using Live555 server in a wrong way, I used
live555MediaServer.exe to stream data and vlc client on my android tab. I
also used vlc server to stream data and vlc client on android. Still there
is some lag of 2 seconds.

PS: I have very good network bandwidth

So I have 3 questions

   1. Is RTSP meant to be used for interactive application where user given
   some event as input or its meant to stream videos, CCTV camera feeds where
   2-3 seconds delay does not hurt ?
   2. If RTSP can be used for interactive applications, is Live555
   implementation good enough for that ?
   3. Is RTSP supposed to have some minimum possible delay ?

Regards
Pankaj Bansal