[Live-devel] Proper use of StreamReplicator

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sun Oct 19 12:09:50 PDT 2014

>>> Anyway, currently stream replicating does not work at all and it does not seem to be easy to do. The StreamReplicator class works in
>>> trivial examples but breaks in real world code.
>>
>> No, it works just fine.  It just needs to be used properly.
>
> Well, it's escalated quickly from "just use replicator->createStreamReplica()" to creating new components with intricate
> knowledge of the internal workings of Live555.

Unfortunately the problem in this case was that although “StreamReplicator” works well for replicating ‘frames’ (opaque chunks of data), your application (as we eventually discovered) is a bit more complex, because you need to replicate not just ‘frames’, but ‘frames-with-extra-parameters’.  (The ‘extra parameters’ are needed to construct a “JPEGVideoSource” or a “H264VideoStreamFramer” object, both of which you’ll need in order to transmit MJPEG or H.264 video (respectively), because of the special nature of those video formats.)  That’s what makes things more complex in your case.