[Live-devel] Problem when multi client connect to server using OndemandServerMediaSubsession

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Sep 4 06:04:25 PDT 2014

You're on the mailing list, so you should be receiving mailing list messages.  Perhaps your company's spam filter is incorrectly rejecting this mailing list's messages??

> As your suggestions, I use VLC as client running in 4 separated computer (I think hardware in each computer is ok to run just one vlc), The “reuseFirstSource” is of course set to true but nothing changed, video again getting slower with bad image when the 4th or 5th client connect to server (All clients use RTP-over-UDP to request to server)
> I also use “openRTSP” to get data from my server and write into files. The same thing happens when the 4th or 5th client connect to server (when the connection less than 4, everything is ok).

I suspect that you are approaching the capacity of your network (or at least the capacity of your server's OS to transmit packets on your network).  The big problem here is your choice of codec: JPEG.  This is a very inefficient codec for streaming.  If you haven't already done so, see
	http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/faq.html#jpeg-streaming

I suggest using H.264 instead of MJPEG.

Also, if your clients are all on the same LAN, you should stream via IP multicast rather than IP unicast.  (Then, your server's network traffic will be independent of the number of clients.)  To do this, you would use a "PassiveServerMediaSubsession" rather than an "OnDemandServerMediaSubsession" (and note the various "test*Streamer" demo applications, which stream via multicast, using a "PassiveServerMediaSubsession".