[Live-devel] OpenRTSP stream delay increasing with time

Muhammad Ali ali at and-or.com
Thu Sep 18 05:04:42 PDT 2014

I am using OpenRTSP to open an RTSP stream (IP Camera) and send it to
ffplay using Unix Pipes as input. I see the video playing which is roughly
1 to 1.5 sec delayed than live (Direct RTSP stream view of IP Cam) .

here is my command line

./OpenRTSP -v -Q -D 1 -n rtsp://<IP>:554/11 | ffplay -loglevel verbose
-fflags nobuffer -i pipe:0

Now this delay slowly keeps increasing from 1.5 sec upto 4~5 seconds in
about 20 minutes. And I assume it will continue to increase with time.

So my questions are :-
1 - what is causing the initial delay ?
2 - Why does that delay keeps increasing ?

Is there a way to disable "pre caching" of frames in OpenRTSP ?

I compare the delay by watching two videos of the same IP camera. One is
configured at angelcam.com and other I view locally via the above command
line.
Surprisingly, it is always Local stream that gets delayed. Angelcam stream
keeps functioning as it started.

Any help ?

--
Muhammad Ali