[Live-devel] ASIO input device -> RTP stream

James Heliker james.heliker at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 12:26:26 PDT 2014

Hi All -

I have a project being built on Live555 to stream PCM audio from an ASIO
device to an RTP stream in as close to real-time as possible. Latency is
biggest concern, next-up would be quality of the audio reaching the
network.

The project so far is built on Windows / VS2012 using the RtAudio lib for
ASIO device access and my own circular buffer to make the input data
available to Live555, mimicking your WAV file source example to make the
project work with AudioBufferSource and SimpleRTPSink.

I'm not sure if this was the appropriate path with Live555; any insights or
guidance would be so appreciated here!

Audio is getting on to the network but in a bad state with many pops ticks
and glitches, and a lot of variable latency. I've confirmed the basics like
appropriate RTP payload format of 11 (L16 PCM @ 44.1) and am receiving data
from my ASIO device at 16bit 44.1 through RtAudio.

Thanks for your help!!

 - James