[Live-devel] rtsp client -> h264 decoder

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Sep 26 11:27:49 PDT 2014

> My client, on the other hand only works for the live555MediaServer and one of the cameras. The other camera, after receiving the data and delivering to the decoder/renderer and am seeing green distorted video, complete gobbly-gook. There doesn’t appear to be any connectivity problems nor buffer size error messages.

Nonetheless, I suspect that the problem is a buffer size problem - but in your client, not the server.  In your "afterGettingFrame()" function, check the "numTruncatedBytes" parameter.  If it's ever non-zero, then you'll need to increase the size of the buffer (in the "MediaSink" subclass that's receiving from your "H264VideoRTPSource" object).

I also suggest running the "testRTSPClient" and "openRTSP" demo applications (RTSP clients) against the camera that is causing problems, and against the camera that's not.  This may give you hints as to what's going wrong.

In particular, I suggest running "openRTSP" as a client for the problematic camera, renaming the output file to have a ".h264" filename suffix, and playing it with VLC.  Do you see the same artifacts that you see in your client?

> What I am doing is quite similar to what I see in H264or5VideoFileSink::afterGettingFrame. On first frame I am prepending the data with [startcodes][sps] and [startcodes] [pps], (sps,pps was captured earlier on when setting up the subsession). After first frame the data is only prepended with the start codes. Is there something else I should be doing, ie analyzing the nal type and modifying differently?

No, what you're doing should be enough.