[Live-devel] RSTP Live streaming from USB camera (Ross Finlayson)

Giovanni Iamonte giovanni.iamonte at quintetto.it
Thu Apr 2 10:25:07 PDT 2015

Hi, Ross

We did a more accurate investigation about the network performance, the
sendto and the buffer size.

what you say is clear and convinces us, but in the meantime our tests
lead us to different considerations.

1) we have written a little program to send UDP packets on the network,
we reach 125 Mbs,

without lose any packets. The test program uses the sendto api.

2) when we use the live555 software to stream audio-video and the
bitrate  is > 2 Mbs we

loose several packets.

In this case we are far away from the max network capacity and the
sendto call returns

a WSAEWOULDBLOCK error. The buffer size is 100 * 512 = 51200.

3) When we use the live555 with our modifications, i.e. output buffer
size = 204800, the sendto

call always succeed. We are pretty about this sure because we left the
streaming

for 48 hours and  we never lost any packets.

Summarizing, If we increase output buffer from 51200 to 204800 we get
rid of those errors.

Thus, without jumping to conclusions we doubt that the OS's output
buffer fills

up because it is not big enough to sustain the bitrate.

Bye

Ing. Giovanni Iamonte

Area Tecnologie e sviluppi

Quintetto Srl - Pont Saint Martin (AO)