[Live-devel] mpeg-ts over UDP

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Apr 22 13:31:42 PDT 2015

> Thanks you very much for the detailed answer.
> I understand that the solution for mpeg-ts over UDP will still require usage of RTSP client-server request-response mechanism, Right ?
> I'm not sure if I can use RTSP in my case, I think it is plain mpeg-ts over udp.

No, you don’t have to use RTSP - especially if your sending application already knows the identity of the receiving application (i.e., it’s IP address (possibly multicast) and port number) in advance.  As I noted in my email, your sending application can use a “BasicUDPSink”, and your receiving application can use a “BasicUDPSource” (perhaps fed into a “MPEG2TransportStreamFramer”, so you will get accurate presentation times).

However, because what you are trying to do here (streaming over raw UDP rather than over RTP) is an inherently bad idea, you can expect no additional support for this here.