[Live-devel] RTSP Server Crash when switching from multicast to unicast

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Apr 27 07:30:00 PDT 2015

Unfortunately, because the crash is triggered by (though not necessarily occurring in) your own application, which I can’t reproduce, you’re going to have to be specific about exactly where the crash is occurring, and why.  (If you’re not already doing so, I suggest replacing the “-O” compile flag with “-g”, and running your server under “gdb”.)

> It seems that there is no client session to destroy if the rtp multicast address method is used, neither is the reference count incremented in this case.

Of course.  I suspect that you may be misunderstanding the difference between “rtp://“ and “rtsp://“ URLs.  “rtp://“ URLs are non-standard and specific only to VLC; they tell VLC to bind to a particular IP address and port number.  This causes no interaction with the server, so (obviously) the server doesn’t know when client(s) are listening to the (multicast) stream this way.

A “rtsp://“ URL uses the (IETF standard) RTSP protocol - a unicast protocol (over TCP) that involves contacting the server, and asking the server for details about the stream (a multicast stream, in this case), and how to listen to it.