[Live-devel] RTSP server: how to correlate RTSPClientConnection and RTSPClientSession

Nathan nathan at team-mediaportal.com
Thu Aug 6 05:11:23 PDT 2015

Hello

We rely on a now-ancient version (2009-09-04) of LIVE555 Streaming Media library
as the basis for the RTSP streaming server in our [open source] product. I'm
trying to assess how feasible it would be to upgrade to the latest version of
LIVE555 in the near future. Obviously there are challenges, for example the
changeover from the ancient synchronous API to the "new" asynchronous API. I
think I should be able to figure most things out given a bit of time. However,
after a day of staring at code I've found one problem that I can't see how to
solve.

As part of the product, we have a configuration section/panel that enables
administrators to see the list of "clients" connected to the server. The list
includes [for each "client"]: the client session ID, the client IP address, the
server session ID that the client is accessing, and some additional metadata
about the server session media. The administrator can choose to "kick" (drop)
client sessions if they deem it appropriate.

In the version of LIVE555 that we're currently using, the fClientAddr and
fOurSessionId are encapsulated in a single
RTSPClientSession class. Therefore the correlation between the 2 pieces of
information is obvious, and we have no problem building the list. However, in
the latest code these key pieces of information are split between
RTSPClientSession and RTSPClientConnection. I can't see how to correlate the
instances of these classes, especially since createNewClientSession() no longer
provides the clientAddr parameter.

So, in short my question is: how can I get the RTSPClientConnection instance
associated with a given RTSPClientSession? If it isn't possible, can you point
me to an explanation of why the design was changed in such a way as to make it
not possible.

Thanks in advance!