[Live-devel] RTSP server: how to correlate RTSPClientConnection and RTSPClientSession

Nathan nathan at team-mediaportal.com
Thu Aug 6 07:15:44 PDT 2015

Thank you very much for your prompt and helpful response Ross.

> You should definitely upgrade.  Not only do we not support old versions of the
> code, but (most importantly) newer versions fix several, often-important bugs,
> including security vulnerabilities.  You are putting your system at great risk
> by continuing to use an old version (especially such an old version) of the
> code.

Yes, I understand the risks and implications and will do everything within my
power to push us through an upgrade. Unfortunately I'm only a lowly developer,
and so some decisions are not in my control.

>  (Once you’ve upgraded your open source product to use the latest version of
> the LIVE555 code, please let me know, and I’ll add a link to your project from
> our web page.)

Sure, I'll do that. Thank you.

>      > >      Obviously there are challenges, for example the changeover from
>      > > the ancient synchronous API to the "new" asynchronous API.
> >
> >  >
>  You may be a bit confused here.  The ‘asynchronous API’ applies only to
> “RTSPClient” - i.e., to the RTSP client implementation.  If your system uses
> our code only to implement a RTSP *server*, then this has not been an issue;
> our RTSP server has always been able to handle multiple clients
> asynchronously.

You're right, I didn't explain well. We do in fact have a two client
implementations as well as the server implementation. So ultimately I will have
to deal with this challenge... twice. Ahh well, such is life! :)

>  The design was changed because...

Thank you for the excellent explanation. I understand.

In our particular environment we always have a one-to-one relationship between
sessions and connections. Therefore I will take your advice: implement the
necessary sub-classes, and acquire the client IP address from either the SETUP
or PLAY commands.