[Live-devel] Broadcasting to UDP?

Marco (Xanatos Marine) marco at xanatosmarine.com
Fri Aug 28 13:45:57 PDT 2015

*Ing. Marco A. Pérez López*

Software Development

Xanatos Marine Ltd.

#370 18 Gostick Place

North Vancouver, B.C., V7M 3G3

Phone: +1 604 904 2200

www.xanatosmarine.com <http://www.xanatosmarine.com/>

This electronic transmission (including any and all attachments) is
intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain information that is privileged and/or
confidential. If you are not the intended recipient of this electronic
transmission, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or
distribution, or the taking of any action in reliance upon the contents
of this electronic transmission, is strictly prohibited, and you are
further requested to purge this electronic transmission and all copies
thereof from your computer system.

I am building an application where several clients should be able to
watch a video stream from a CCTV IP camera.
I think that the best solution bandwidth-wise is to have a single
computer in the  network connect to the rtsp stream from the camera, and
then broadcast this stream via UDP (to some address like
255.255.255.255) so all other computers in the network only need to
"tap" that UDP port to get the video stream.

I implemented this with VLC and it works, but... as the network gets
more load from several devices, the VLC instances start falling behind
the real time stream from the camera. With one Full HD camera and four
standard cameras in the network, VLC (the "source" or re-streaming
instance mainly) falls behind at an astonishing rate and after some 10
minutes the output stream is like 5 minutes behind real time!

Looking for an alternative to VLC, I have tried to use LIVE555 to
replace VLC in its "server" end but I haven't found an example or a
discussion on how to implement UDP broadcast with it. Is this possible?
Where should I look? Are there any examples? Will using LIVE555 solve
the growing latency problem or is it inherent to the way RTSP/RTP work?

Thanks,
Marco