[Live-devel] controlling the rtsp negotiation with custom event loop

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Dec 18 06:01:56 PST 2015

> Thank you for your reply.  The long story is, that I have my own program having its own event loop, with simultaneous select calls on sockets, multiprocessing pipes, etc.

That’s fine.  However, if you want to use the LIVE555 code to implement RTSP/RTP/RTCP, then the processing (and “select()” calls, etc.) needs to be done within the LIVE555 event loop.  (If you have other sockets that do other things, unrelated to LIVE555 code, then you can do whatever you want with those; however, LIVE555 code needs to be run within the LIVE555 event loop (by definition).)

> In the future, I will migrate my code into using live555, but I can't do it in one shot..!  (always been a bit slow learner..)
>
> At the moment I'd like to use the live555 rtsp implementation to do the authentication and negotiation part.. after getting the port numbers, I will open the sockets for udp streaming myself and use my own existing code..

Translation: "I’m too lazy to try and use the LIVE555 code in the way in which it was intended, so I’m going to ‘jury rig’ my application my own way, but still plan on using the LIVE555 mailing list (with its thousands of members) to try to get free advice”.  Sorry, but that’s not going to happen.  Goodbye.