[Live-devel] H264 working in openRTSP but not testRTSPClient

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Dec 22 17:40:07 PST 2015

> When I run "openRTSP -b 300000 rtsp://192.168.2.101" on the H.264 stream of my IP camera it works perfectly, but when I tried modifying testRTSPClient to do the equivalent (ie: saving NAL packets to a H264 raw bitstream file), it works perfectly sometimes but occasionally the video looks broken.

...From what I can tell (from your description of your modification to “testRTSPClient”), there should be difference between the behavior of “openRTSP” and your modified “testRTSPClient”, in this case.  I suspect that you’ve been running your modified “testRTSPClient” more often than “openRTSP”, and that if you ran “openRTSP” more often, you’d see the issue there as well.

Does your H.264 video stream really have NAL units that are close to 300000 bytes in size?? If so, then that’s the problem.  NAL units this large are *much* to large to be streamed over RTP.  They should instead be encoded as a sequence of smaller ‘slice’ NAL units.

Please read
	http://lists.live555.com/pipermail/live-devel/2015-November/019773.html
and the links therein.