[Live-devel] Changing maxPacketSize value for H264VideoRTPSink

Maxim P. DEMENTIEV maxim.dementiev at nexvision.fr
Thu Jul 23 06:33:43 PDT 2015

Hello,

Currently I'm working on improving an RTSP/RTCP/RTP server based on Live
library which transmits the live H264 stream in HD resolution.

Trying to lower the CPU consumption by the server (the hot-spot was
MultiFramedRTPSink::sendNext callback), I increased the maxPacketSize
value (by calling setPacketSizes() in the subsession's
createNewRTPSink() before return). It has solved the problem but I worry
about the consequences.

So, I've got some questions:

1. What is the safe range for maxPacketSize regarding to the modern
RTSP/RTP clients and the local networks?

2. Can you give some advice about the net load/bandwidth balancing and
the size of the RTP packet in the context of Live library?

3. Are there other ways to reduce the CPU consumption by the
Fragmenter/Sink?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Max