[Live-devel] QuickTimeFileSink creating files unreadable by QuickTime

Eric Blanpied eric at sparkalley.com
Thu Jun 18 10:24:31 PDT 2015

Hello,

Our Mac OS X app uses the QuickTimeFileSink to record RTSP streams to local storage, and then uses Apples AVFoundation classes for playback. In testing we have now had multiple instances where the resulting files are treated as unplayable due to an incorrect syncSampleTable entry, either in our app, or in any QuickTime-based player. VLC will open the files, so they’re obviously close to correct, but we need it to work in our app, every time.

A typical error message is shown below, and media which exhibits the problem can be found here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16009858/AXISCamera2-20150617-123230.mov

[11:21:23.991] CheckSyncSampleAtom signalled err=-12848 (kFigFormatReaderError_ParsingFailure) (syncSampleTable has an entry which is out of the range of 1 to numSamples, inclusive) at /SourceCache/CoreMedia/CoreMedia-1562.235/Prototypes/FormatHandlers/Movie/MovieAtomParsing.c line 1697
<<< FFR_Movie >>> ParseTrackAtom: Omitting a track that encountered error -12848 during atom parsing

I’m interested in advice to either prevent the problem in the future, or possibly to correct the issue in files that have it.

-e