[Live-devel] delay processing PLAY scale - RTSPServer - live555MediaServer

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Mar 6 08:10:39 PST 2015

There are two separate issues here.

First, our RTSP server does not support ‘fast forward’ when streaming H.264 files.  (It supports ‘fast forward’ only when streaming indexed MPEG Transport Stream files, PCM (WAV) audio files, or MPEG audio files; see http://live555.com/mediaServer/#trick-play <http://live555.com/mediaServer/#trick-play> )  You’ll notice that when our server responds to your “PLAY” request that contains a “scale” other than 1, its RTSP response contains “scale=1”, telling the client that the server does not support “scale”s other than 1.

Second, regarding your delay: This will have nothing to do with whatever “scale” value - if any - is in the command.  Any delay between the time that your client sends a request, and the time that our server receives the request - *must be caused* - by delays inside your network and OS.  There is nothing in our code that is delaying commands.

What is probably happening is that you are experiencing network congestion, due the outgoing media packets already coming from the server.  I presume that you are sending the ‘scale’ RTSP “PLAY” command after you have already sent an initial RTSP “PLAY” command (with no ‘scale’), to start the stream.  You will notice that this initial RTSP “PLAY” command got handled without delay.

I suspect that your outgoing media stream is exceeding the capacity of your network.  In that case, you need either a lower-bitrate stream, or a faster network.