[Live-devel] Possible bug in RTPInterface::sendDataOverTCP

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Mar 20 02:32:02 PDT 2015

> I am trying to stream rtp over tcp and i am facing the issue like stream is stopping after 3-4 mins(I am using VLC as a client)

Oh please!  Why do you think that this means that there is a bug in our code at all, let alone a bug in one specific function?

I assume (although you didn’t say explicitly) that you have used the “LIVE555 Streaming Media” code to implement a server.

I suspect that what’s happening is simply that your server is trying to transmit a stream whose bitrate exceeds the capacity of your network.  If that happens, you WILL lose data.  Streaming over TCP cannot save you here.

If this is the case, you need either a slower stream, or a faster network.  You should also avoid streaming over TCP, if possible.  (Streaming over TCP is something that you should do only if you have a firewall - between your server and client - that blocks UDP packets.)