[Live-devel] UDP packets appear to be empty, forcing switch to TCP in VLC

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed May 6 17:23:53 PDT 2015

> Thanks for the quick response.  I have upgraded both the client and server to the May 3rd 2015 edition and the result appears to be the same.  On the receiving side I am still getting packets which appear to contain data (or random garbage), and the head == tail, so the frame size is zero.  VLC still does the switching to TCP thing.  I suspect I am doing something wrong in sending my frames, not sure what.  And if so, why would it work over TCP?

If the problem were with the data that you were streaming, then it’s unlikely that streaming would work over TCP, but not UDP.  But to be sure, I suggest first running the (unmodified) “LIVE555 Media Server” application <http://www.live555.com/mediaServer/ <http://www.live555.com/mediaServer/>>, to test streaming from a file.  I suspect, though, that you’ll see the same result: streaming RTP/RTCP-over-TCP will work, but RTP/RTCP-over-UDP won’t.

In my experience, problems with receiving RTP/RTCP-over-UDP are almost always caused by the presence of a firewall - somewhere between the server and client - that’s blocking UDP packets.