[Live-devel] Library modifications

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue May 12 08:52:20 PDT 2015

> In this case, we’re receiving motion detection data from Vivotek IP cameras.

How do these use RTP header extensions?  Is there a document somewhere that describes this?

> We have other cameras (AXIS) that use the H.264 SEI frames

OK, so these would just be carried via regular H.264/RTP packets - without requiring RTP header extensions.

> and some that use the ONVIF application data track.

And these are just RTP packets (albeit using a non-standard media type “VND.ONVIF.METADATA”), which we already receive using the “SimpleRTPSource” class - again (I presume), without requiring RTP header extensions.

Support for RTP header extensions is probably going to be needed in the future for other applications (e.g., transmitting some WebRTC streams), but I want to understand where/why people might already be using them for other purposes.