[Live-devel] RTCP RR reports do not reach to the server using UDP

Muhammad Mohsin Abbasi mmabbasi at kth.se
Sun Nov 8 23:20:30 PST 2015

Hi Ross,

We are using Amazon Server having public and private ip addresses for their server instances. There is no NAT on Amazon or on our Client side. our Client also has the public IP address.

By default with live555, when RR reports are sent from testRTSPClient using UDP, the destination of the RR report is the private IP address of the amazon server instead of public IP. client gets this private IP address from the SDP sent by the live555 server in response to DESCRIBE command. We want to change it to public IP address because our server has the public IP address as well.  Just for testing,  we changed the live555 library function as below and RR reports work fine.

void MediaSubsession::setDestinations(netAddressBits defaultDestAddress) {
netAddressBits destAddress = connectionEndpointAddress();  //BY DEFAULT THIS FUNCTION RETURNS PRIVATE IP OF THE AMAZON SERVER INSTANCE
if (destAddress == 0) destAddress = defaultDestAddress;
struct in_addr destAddr; destAddr.s_addr = destAddress;
destAddr.S_un.S_un_b.s_b1=AA;     //  //AA.BB.CC.DD IS THE PUBLIC IP OF THE SERVER WE CHANGED HERE WITH THIS IP
destAddr.S_un.S_un_b.s_b2=BB;
destAddr.S_un.S_un_b.s_b3=CC;
destAddr.S_un.S_un_b.s_b4=DD;

What we want is that when RR packets are sent, the destination address should be the public IP of the server not its private, we don't want to make change in the library method as the way we did in above code. what should we do in this case?

Best Regards

Mohsin