[Live-devel] RTSP Server Packet Loss

Martin Sherburn Martin.Sherburn at datapath.co.uk
Mon Nov 30 02:45:28 PST 2015

Hello Ross,

Thanks for your speedy reply. I am aware that UDP packets are considered unreliable and can therefore be dropped, but if they get dropped it results in video corruption on the receiving side which doesn't make for a great RTSP server. I have tried your suggestion of increasing the send buffer sizes, this seems to do the trick as well. I believe 50 kb is not enough for my use case, I have a 40 Mb/s 1920x1080 H264 source video file running at 30 frames per second. So each frame is roughly 160 kB being bursted out every 33ms. My NIC is 1Gb/s so it is capable in dealing with the average bandwidth, just not capable in dealing with the bursts.

It might be nice to inform the user that packets are getting lost in this way because it took me a while to trace it back to the server. Or tie the send buffer size to the OutPacketBuffer::maxSize in some way, as it seems likely that if you need to increase that value to deal with larger frames you will also need to increase the socket send buffer size.

Regards,

Martin.