[Live-devel] Live555 transport UDP packet through NAT

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Oct 20 23:51:52 PDT 2015

> Thanks a lot for the reply.  My private server is not running behind NAT. It is a public server. The problem arises when some of the clients who are behind NAT tries to access this public server, and they cannot connect to the server as per firewall restriction.

If these clients can access the server’s RTSP (i.e., TCP) port - which is usually 554 or 8554 - then they should be able to receive the stream by requesting RTP/RTCP-over-TCP streaming.  Our RTSP server implementation is set up to automatically handle requests for RTP/RTCP-over-TCP streaming; you don’t need to do anything special to enable it.

Note that some RTSP clients (e.g., VLC) will automatically request RTP/RTCP-over-TCP streaming if it fails to receive the regular RTP/RTCP-over-UDP stream after a few seconds.