[Live-devel] rtp over rtsp, tcp sending: dropped frames

Gajdosik Johannes j.gajdosik at pke.at
Tue Aug 9 09:53:31 PDT 2016

In my application I send rtp streams over rtsp (tcp streaming) because I cannot afford dropping a single frame.
After some research I found that liveMedia will drop my frames in certain circumstances, especially when I send big I-Frames.
The code is in RTPInterface::sendDataOverTCP, which will not try to resend when "forceSendToSucceed" is False, which is always the case for frame data.

In my opinion this behaviour is inappropriate, since I use TCP streaming exactly because I never must drop a frame.
If sending does not work within the timeout, I rather close the connection, so that the client will realize that something is wrong.

I also find that increasing the TCP sendbuffer from 50kB to 1MB in GenericMediaServer.cpp is helpful in this cause.

Attached is my patch.

Yours,
Johannes Gajdosik