[Live-devel] help with streaming a .ts file

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Aug 16 22:19:37 PDT 2016

> I just ran a test with the command line in the original post, and what I find out is that files with no extension are created

OK, so those are MPEG-4 Video Elementary Stream files.

You can stream these files - as is - from our “LIVE555 Media Server” if you give each file a “.m4e” filename extension.  However, if you don this, you won’t be able to do ‘trick play’ on these streams.

If, instead, you want to convert these MPEG-4 Video Elementary Stream files to Transport Stream files, you can probably do so using our software.  Specifically, look at the code for our “testH264VideoToTransportStream” demo application (see “testH264VideoToTransportStream.cpp” in the “testProgs” directory).  You can probably convert this code into an application that converts MPEG-4 Video Elementary Stream files to Transport Stream files by changing:
	- “H264VideoStreamFramer” to “MPEG4VideoStreamFramer”, and
	- passing 4 instead of 5 as the “mpegVersion” parameter to the call to “addNewVideoSource()”

Alternatively, you might be able to convert these files to Transport Stream files using some third-party software like “ffmpeg”.