[Live-devel] Keeping RTSP connection alive

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Aug 23 08:01:32 PDT 2016

> I tested this also with the openRTSP test program (the output is in the end of this message).

You actually ran “testRTSPClient”.  “openRTSP” is a different program, with more features.  (See below.)

> 1) I suppose that openRTSP (and the RTSPClient class) sends periodic RTCP sender reports (based on RTSPClient source code) to the camera.  Am I correct ? (i.e. no special custom implementation is needed to achieve this).

Yes.

> 2) .. and that should be enough to keep the camera sending those frames, right ?

Yes, it should.  However, several buggy RTSP servers (including the one in your camera) do not use incoming RTCP “RR”s (from the client) to indicate that the client is still alive.

> 3) So maybe this a problem of the camera not fullfilling the protocol .. ?

Yes.

> 4) Is sending periodic "GET_PARAMETER" command a legitimate way of keeping the connection up and alive or simply a "hack" that is widespread ?

The latter.  Note that “openRTSP” (but not “testRTSPClient”) includes an option “-K” to tell it to send periodic “OPTIONS” commands (similar to “GET_PARAMETER”) to tell the server that it’s still alive.

> (I'm using "v2016.02.22" of live555)

Please upgrade to the latest version of the “LIVE555 Streaming Media” software.  We do not support old versions of the code.