[Live-devel] Record every X seconds wtih playlist (piped ffmpeg?)

Zoltán Szabó zoell at zoell.us
Sat Dec 10 14:54:11 PST 2016

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to record a stream via openRTSP. The idea is that I want to
generate a file every 10 seconds with a playlist.

So I tried it using a pipe to ffmpeg, like this:

./openRTSP -v -t rtsp://user:password@hostname:port/path/to/stream | ffmpeg
-i - -codec copy -hls_time 10 /data/recording.m3u8

This is working, it generates recordingXXX.ts files every 10 seconds and
adds them into a m3u8 playlist which is nice, however I also want to attach
the audio stream, so I tried the following:

./openRTSP -4 -t rtsp://user:password@hostname:port/path/to/stream | ffmpeg
-i - -codec copy -hls_time 10 /data/recording.m3u8

But ffmpeg throws the following:

[mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x55965d57a2c0] moov atom not found
pipe:: Invalid data found when processing input

I understand that moov atom should be there but as it arrives directly from
openRTSP it is not there at that time. Is there any way to solve this
problem?

An alternative would be if I could set openRTSP to also output a playlist
if I use the -P 10 option.

Any idea would be really appreciated.

Thank you,
Zoltan