[Live-devel] Is there a mechanism for telling a client to switch streams?

Ben Rush ben at ben-rush.net
Wed Jul 6 14:05:46 PDT 2016

I realize that, if there is a supported mechanism, that it's largely the
responsibility of the client (and therefore that this may not be a Live555
server concern), but I'm also curious about what it would take on the
server to implement stream switching.

Here is our scenario. I'm using Live555 to create a RTSP server for
audio/video streaming. Works great. Love it.

One of the things we're looking at is offering what, I suppose, could be
seen as "adaptive streaming". Different clients with different bandwidths
are going to be requesting our stream(s) in the future, and we're looking
for ways to have one bitrate stream playing and let the client switch,
seamlessly, to a different stream (higher or lower bitrate). Alternatively
it'd be nice for the SERVER to also TELL the client to switch to a
different stream (it's a long story, but our server will have the ability
to identify it should serve higher or lower bitrate streams too). Rather
than switching the bitrate of the stream I'm serving from the server, it
might be easier to just have multiple streams (different bitrates) playing,
and letting the clients bounce between them.

A cursory glance at the protocol has lead me to believe that the ANNOUNCE
method might be the way to tell clients to change streams (resending the
SDP, right?) Is this something I can easily roll out using Live555, or is
this going to likely require a lot of custom code to do?

As always, thanks in advance and much respect to the brains in this group.