[Live-devel] Pipe streaming - read freeze

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Jul 20 12:26:44 PDT 2016

> When I run code testOnDemandRTSPServer for live h264 streaming (read data from linux pipe), streaming stops until at least one client not connected. My app opens pipe to writing, after that Live555 doesn’t open pipe for reading while no clients connected. Thats why my app freezes. So, how I can force live555 testOnDemandRTSPServer to don’t waiting for clients for start reading from pipe immediately?

The RTSP server will open the input source object when the first client connects.  After that, the server will close the input source object when the last client disconnects.  (Because you’re streaming from a live source, you should set the “reuseFirstSource” parameter to True, so that the same data will be streamed to multiple concurrent clients, and the source object will be closed only when the last of these concurrent client disconnects.)

Therefore, your input source object should be prepared to handle a sequence of open-close-open-close, etc. operations.

(Also, your app should not ‘freeze’, because - in LIVE555-based applications - all I/O is asynchronous.)