[Live-devel] Need advice on best way to proceed.

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Jun 2 14:45:41 PDT 2016

There’s really nothing in the RTSP specification (note, btw, that ‘ONVIF’ is not the RTSP specification) that provides for a RTSP server receiving media at the same time that it sends it.  And as people have noted, there’s no support in our RTSP server implementation for this.  So I suggest that you don’t use RTSP (and/or our RTSP server or client implementation) at all.

However, it’s possible (and quite easy) to use the “LIVE555 Streaming Media” code to implement ‘full-duplex’ media (and by ‘full-duplex’, I presume you mean using the same socket for both sending and receiving media).  To do this, just create a single “Groupsock” object for the socket, but use this *one* “Groupsock” object when creating both a “RTPSink” (subclass) object (for transmitting), and a “RTPSource” (subclass) object (for receiving).

Similarly, for RTCP, you can either create a new socket (on even port #+1) and “Groupsock”, and create a single “RTCPInstance” for this, or else have this (single) “RTCPInstance” use the same socket and “Groupsock” that you used for RTP.