[Live-devel] RTPSource/Sink sharing the same groupsock (I think I sent this originally to the wrong group)

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Jun 8 13:39:34 PDT 2016

> Ultimately the goal is to have one "server" which resides in a room and provides video + two-way audio to a monitoring station. If the monitoring station wishes to have a conversation with the room, then it can do so using the two-way audio.

>From your description, it’s still not quite clear to me what you want to do.  In particular, what do you want to have happen to the ‘back-channel’ audio (that would go from the receiver(s?) back to the server?  Would this audio just get recorded by the server somehow?  Or would it somehow get resent to the receiver(s) (along with the video, and any other audio)?  Would this audio somehow get mixed with the other audio (if any) before getting resent?  A diagram would probably help a lot in explaining specifically what you want to do.

Another issue is that ‘two-way media’ isn’t really part of the RTSP standard.  Even if you were to hack a RTSP server to accept (and do something, I don’t know what) with incoming ‘back-channel’ audio, then what about the RTSP clients?  Are there any existing RTSP clients (e.g., media players) out there that even take audio input (from a microphone), let alone try to send it back to the server?  Not as far as I know.

So I suggest not using RTSP ***at all*** for this, unless you can somehow decouple this 'back-channel’ audio from the regular RTSP stream - e.g., unless you have some sort of RTSP proxy server that ‘pulls’ (using RTSP) the ‘back-channel’ audio from wherever it’s supposed to come from.

But first, you really need to explain better what you want to do.