[Live-devel] Buffer size in MPEG2TransportStreamFromESSource

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Jun 22 14:40:51 PDT 2016

> I know you have repeated many times on this list that we should
> configure the encoder to use slices instead of large frames, but
> since you provide OutPacketBuffer::maxSize to increase the default
> size of RTPSink objects, I thought that it would make sense to have
> a way to change the size of the MPEG2TransportStreamFromESSource
> objects buffer too.

Yes.  However, I don’t want to do this by adding a ‘buffer size’ parameter to the API, because sometime in the (admittedly likely distant) future, I’d like to overhaul the way that buffer management is done in this library by eliminating these fixed-size buffers altogether.

Instead, in the next release of the software, I’ll change “MAX_INPUT_ES_FRAME_SIZE” from a compile-time constant to a run-time variable that can be changed before the “MPEG2TransportStreamFromESSource” object is created (similar to  what we currently do with "OutPacketBuffer::maxSize”).