[Live-devel] Live555 Proxy Server - Stuck in endless loop

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Mar 15 23:28:44 PDT 2016

>> I still don’t know how/why this can occur, but I’ve just released a new version (2016.01.24) of the code that adds some ‘INTERNAL ERROR’ messages if the queue gets into an inconsistent state.  Should you see any of these messages, please let us know.
>>
> I noticed one of the prints in the logs, a snippet is included below.

Thanks.  I’ll take a look at this, and see if I can work out (or get closer to working out) what might be going wrong.

> By the way, I have another problem where newly connected clients don't
> receive any data for some of the streams served by the proxy server.
> When the client connects, the proxy server sends a play request and
> receives a response from the server but the client does not receive
> any data from the proxy server.

Which suggests that the back-end server itself is not sending any data.  This may be a problem with your back-end server, especially if it’s the same one that’s used in the log snippet that you sent this time.  (See below…)

> Received a complete DESCRIBE response:
> RTSP/1.0 200 OK
> CSeq: 3278
> Date: Wed, Jan 28 1970 13:49:46 GMT
>
> v=0
> o=- 2382586748152 1 IN IP4 192.168.1.128
> s=H.264 Program Stream, streamed by the LIVE555 Media Server
> i=ch0_0.h264
> t=0 0
> a=DevVer:pusher2
> a=GroupName:IPCAM
> a=NickName:CIF
> a=CfgSection:PROG_CHN0
> a=tool:LIVE555 Streaming Media v2011.08.13

So this ‘back-end’ server happens to also be using our code - but a very old version (that is therefore known to be buggy).  Is this back-end server something that you control?  If so, you should upgrade it to use the latest version of our software.

Note that if the server is a product (e.g., part of a network camera that you own) then - under the terms of the LGPL - the manufacturer is obligated to let you update the LIVE555 library code that it uses.

If you are unable to upgrade the LIVE555 library on this ‘back-end’ server, then please let me know, and I’ll try to get in touch with the manufacturer, reminding them of their legal obligations.

(Also, FYI, the back-end server describes the stream as being a “H.264 Program Stream”, which makes no sense.  (A “Program Stream” is for MPEG-1 or 2 audio+video, not H.264.))