[Live-devel] How to add , delete more camera connect resource for multi-thread in live555

Jeff Shanab jshanab at jfs-tech.com
Wed Mar 16 18:44:36 PDT 2016

I have used live555 for quite a while and what you need to understand is
that live555 does internally what an operating system does at a more
generic level. Jump between tasks.  An operating system has knwo knowledge
so it slices tasks and must preserve and restore context. By using an event
loop to handle descrite similar and complete tasks, the code never has to
concern itself with locks or mutexes or context switching in the middle of
a task. It  can have high throughput with low resources and remain easier
to debug.

You will have a RTSPClient for each connection. They will all share just
share the same environment and task scheduler.

I have done 255-300 cameras on a single thread on what is now 10 year old
hardware.

However, if it is advantages to have multiple threads, like to help the
operating system take better take advantage of multiple cores, the rule is
that each thread must have it's own environment and task scheduler.