[Live-devel] Live555 Proxy Server - Stuck in endless loop

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Mar 31 14:35:26 PDT 2016

> By the way, I think there might be a bug in the handling of the
> periodic liveness commands:
> If an OPTIONS response is never received,
> ProxyRTSPClient::continueAfterLivenessCommand is never called, and the
> next liveness command will never be scheduled.

No, the periodic ‘liveness’ commands are intended to test that the TCP connection is still alive, and also to compensate for a large number of servers that require these periodic commands in tell them that their client (in this case, the proxy server) is still alive.  However, they were never intended to test for every possible way that a server might be buggy.

If a server does not respond at all to an incoming “OPTIONS” command (and the RTSP TCP connection is still alive), then the server is badly broken.  You need to repair (or replace) your server.

(If the server just ‘dies’ - taking down the RTSP TCP connection with it - then, of course, we will detect and handle this.  This is the normal way in which a server will fail to handle an “OPTIONS” command.)