[Live-devel] ProxyServerMediaSession for Transcoding

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sat Oct 15 23:45:00 PDT 2016

> Based on your earlier post I was able to understand how to use filter for transcoding.and I'am able to transcode the video stream.
>
> However I have one problem in it. I cannot use 1 stream coming from the camera to be transcoded to multiple transcoded images.

When you say “1 stream from the camera […] transcoded to multiple transcoded images” do you mean:
	1) the ability for multiple 'front-end' clients to access the proxy stream concurrently, with each of these front-end clients getting an (identical) copy of the transcoded stream, or
	2) allowing the proxy server to serve two (or more) different named streams that come from a single input ‘back-end’ stream, with each of the proxied streams being transcoded into a different codec and/or a different resolution?

If you’re asking for 1), then this already happens automatically.  If multiple ‘front-end’ clients access the proxy server, then they will each automatically get a copy of the transcoded stream (yet the transcoding will be done only once).

However, if you’re asking for 2), then this is not possible with the current proxy server.  What you *can* do, however, is have two (or more) separate “ProxyServerMediaSession” objects, each using the same ‘back-end’ “rtsp://“ URL, but transcoded differently.  This will cause multiple copies of the ‘back-end’ stream to come from the camera to the proxy server.  (You could avoid this, however, by putting *another* proxy server between the proxy server and the ‘back-end’ camera stream.)