[Live-devel] Hit limit on receiving incoming packet over TCP(increase maxRTCPPacketSize)

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Oct 21 06:04:25 PDT 2016

> I keep encountering the error in my proxy server:
> "Hit limit on receiving incoming packet over TCP(increase maxRTCPPacketSize)"
> at random intervals.
>
> I have made sure that the backend stream does not send RTCP packet sizes beyond the size set at the proxy server.

The problem here is that your ‘back-end’ RTSP server (e.g., network camera) is using an erroneous implementation of RTP/RTCP-over-TCP, that causes it to send corrupted data under conditions of network congestion (i.e., if the stream’s bit rate approaches or exceeds the capacity of your network).

It’s possible that this ‘back-end’ RTSP server (e.g., network camera) is implemented using our “LIVE555 Streaming Media” software - but using a *very* old version.  If it is using our software, then please upgrade it to use the latest version; see
	http://live555.com/liveMedia/faq.html#latest-version
If this ‘back-end’ RTSP server is an embedded system (such as a network camera) that uses our software, then note that it is a condition of the LGPL license that it be possible to upgrade its firmware to use the latest version of our software.  Please inform the manufacturer of this server of this.

Alternatively, don’t access the ‘back-end’ stream using RTP/RTCP-over-TCP.  (Streaming over TCP is generally a bad idea; it’s something that you should do only as a last resort, if you have a firewall - between your back-end server and proxy server - that blocks UDP packets.)