[Live-devel] Live555 Proxy Server sometimes does not proxy source after connection loss

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Sep 5 01:12:44 PDT 2016

> Most of the time, the proxy server reconnects to the source after a
> loss of connection to a source, but every now and then I observe one
> of the following issues:

In each case, the problem (from what I can tell) seems to be the fault of the ‘back-end’ server - i.e., it seems to be broken.

> 1) The proxyserver reconnects to the source, but no data frames are
> forwarded to the clients.

If no data are forwarded to the (‘front-end’) clients, then that must mean that the ‘back-end’ server was not sending any data to the proxy server.  If the ‘back-end’ server appears responsive in spite of this (i.e., the RTSP connection remains open, and the server continues responding to “OPTIONS” requests from the proxy server), then it must be broken in some way…

> 2) The proxy server does not reconnect to the source, and clients to
> the proxy server are being told:
> RTSP/1.0 404 File Not Found, Or In Incorrect Format
> An example log of scenario 2) is pasted below
[…]
> ProxyServerMediaSubsession[(NULL),H264]::~ProxyServerMediaSubsession()
> Jul 26 20:25:44
> ProxyServerMediaSubsession[(NULL),MPEG4-GENERIC]::~ProxyServerMediaSubsession()
> Jul 26 20:25:44 Opening connection to 192.168.0.126, port 554…

In this case the state for the stream has timed out, and the proxy server then attempts to re-open a RTSP connection to the ‘back-end’ server.  However, this appears to be hanging - again, apparently due to your ‘back-end’ server being broken.

I suggest just replacing your ‘back-end’ servers (i.e., web cams or whatever).