[Live-devel] Listen for reuest to stream live video

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Sep 12 08:00:04 PDT 2016

OK, thinking about this some more - now I think I understand.

You’re streaming from your camera via IP multicast (because you're using the ‘Elphel’ code as a model).  In this case, each RTSP session - from a client - asks to receive the (existing) IP multicast stream, but does not start a new stream (or stop the existing multicast stream).

So you want to know how to stop the IP multicast stream (independently of RTSP clients).  There’s no way within the RTSP protocol to do this, so - if you really want to do this - you’d have to come up with your own protocol/mechanism to do this, and implement it yourself.  (The actual code inside your server would be straightforward: simply call
	yourSink->stopPlaying();

But perhaps you should ask yourself if you *really* want to stream via IP multicast.  If you’re streaming to only one client - or to multiple clients located on non-IP-multicast routed networks - then you would be better off streaming via IP *unicast* instead.  If you were to do this, then the RTSP server would send out a stream only when requested by a RTSP client.  This can be done easily using our “testOnDemandRTSPServer” code as a model; see
	http://live555.com/liveMedia/faq.html#liveInput-unicast