[Live-devel] Fragmented intra frames

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Sep 23 05:56:29 PDT 2016

> The only logical way of making sense of all this is ..
>
> UDP packets: max ~ 65 kB

Yes, in principle.  However, our code, by default, sets a maximum UDP packet size of about 1500 bytes.  (You can change this by calling "MultiFramedRTPSink::setPacketSizes()”, but you should do so only if you know for sure that you’re streaming only over networks that support large UDP packets.)

> => are assembled to .. => (this is done by live555)
> NAL slices

Yes, that’s correct.  Note that the receiver must get *all* RTP/UDP packets that make up a NAL unit (e.g., slice); otherwise the whole NAL unit will be rejected/discarded.  That’s why - for streaming - it’s important to break large ‘key frame’ NAL units into multiple slices.

> => are assembled to .. => (done by the encoder)
> Complete frames, made of several NAL slices
>
> Am I on the right track here .. ?

Exactly right!