[Live-devel] What is this technology and will it let me Facebook like stream?

Don Gould don at bowenvale.co.nz
Mon Apr 10 14:51:04 PDT 2017

Hi Jeremiah,

Yes I'd seen the his.js stuff in my Google travels too.  I wasn't able
to make it work or understand it, quickly.  Credit to Ross's demo site,
it worked, hence my taking the time to post.

Yes, m3u does look like it's heading in the direction I'm interested in
too.  Feel free to ping me off list if you'd like to discuss more and
don't want to noisy up Ross's list.

On 11/04/2017 5:57 AM, Jeremiah Morrill wrote:

> I have done some light testing in this area.
>
> Speculating a little here based on what you said, it seems like you’d
> want scalable video, from an RTSP camera stream, delivered to the web
> (and support mobile web browsers).
>
> Web RTC is the “right way” to go and believe Ross is working on
> something for this.  Web RTC can provide pretty low latency streams.
> The downside as of writing this email is that it’s supported on all
> web browsers and mobile web browsers EXCEPT Safari on iOS.
>
> Http “LIVE” Streaming (HLS).  This is supported on everything*.  IIRC,
> not “natively” on chrome, but if you use a JS lib
> (https://github.com/video-dev/hls.js) It’ll work.  The downside is
> latency is very high.
>
> You can convert the RTSP stream to HLS with ffmpeg(.exe). Use a
> command like this (assuming h264 compatible source stream, vcodec copy
> does no transcoding).
>
> *ffmpeg*-i "<rtspurl>" -hls_time 1 -hls_list_size 3 -hls_wrap 3
> -vcodec copy -y video_file_exposed_to_http_server.m3u8
>
> Just add the mime/type to your http server.
>
> That’s about it.  I don’t want to get too off-topic for this list, so
> I’ll leave it at that..
>
> -Jer

Don Gould
31 Acheson Ave