[Live-devel] Multiple client sync

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Apr 11 08:50:03 PDT 2017

> Is there any inherent function to synchronize audio in multiple clients ?

No, nothing that's ‘inherent’ in the supplied code, as is.  However, the IETF (almost 3 years ago) standardized RFC 7272:
	"Inter-Destination Media Synchronization (IDMS) Using the RTP Control Protocol (RTCP)”
This RFC defines two new RTCP packets, and a new SDP attribute.  It would be possible, I think, to update our RTSP server and RTSP client implementations to support these.  (Unfortunately I suspect that this would require modifying our code, rather than merely subclassing it, which is what we prefer.)

But if you were to do this, then our RTSP server could, at least in principle, be used to stream audio (and/or video) that’s synchronized in multiple RTSP clients (either RTSP clients that are written use our software, or any ‘off the shelf’ RTSP clients that support IDMS (not that I know of any such ‘off the shelf’ RTSP clients, however)).